Supes pay for new fire truck
The Kemper County board of supervisors voted to transfer $100,000 from the general fund account to a separate DDA account to be used to purchase a new truck for the Preston Volunteer Fire Department.
The money was appropriated by the Mississippi Legislature during the 2020 session. It was run through the county so it could be properly bided out, accordind to Rep. Michael Ted Evans.
The truck is a Dodge 5500. It is expected to be delivered by the end of the month. It will be taken to a fire truck company in Alabama, which will put the fire gear on it.
“This truck is going to be used as an emergency truck to go out to wrecks,” Evans said. “It will be outfitted with a water pump to be used on grass fires.”
In other matters, supervisors voted to:
• Approve the county payroll and the claims docket;
• Approve an order for Kemper County School bus turnarounds for the following drivers: James Rush, Jeremy Hickman, Danzel McCoy, Gene Craig, Travis Moore and Chris Collins.
• Approve the following invoices from Engineering Plus for payment: Bethel Church Road $392; Kemper County Road Inventory $361; Bay Springs-Oak Grove Road $24; Neshoba County Road $290; DeKalb-Porterville Road $3,225; Kemper County 4-year road plan $1,190; Kemper Springs Community Center Roof Replacement $558; former Dollar Store property $876; Kemper County Recreation Park Improvements $229; evaluation of buildings damaged by wind storm and new concession stand buildings $523; Emillia building expansion $255; and Neelytown Road $5,520;
• Approve a payment to Air Management for Emilia to install and lengthen existing supply duct in main warehouse for the amount of $4,996;
• Approve the transfer of funds into the EMCC fund in the amount of $278.057 from the In-Lieu account;
• Approve paying the 2021-2022 membership dues to the Justice County Clerks Association for Lynn Puckett and LaTisha Campbell totaling $200;
• Approve an order transferring $750,000 to a separate account for the Natural Gas Line. The money was received from the Department of Finance and Administration;
• Approve an order allowing the circuit clerk to open a new bond account;
• Approve residential 16th Section Land Lease agreements for Sue H. Brown, Emily Brown and Bobby Brown,