Welcome to The Future of Diagnostic Tests
(NewsUSA)- If you have a chronic or recurring infection, getting accurate results of diagnostic tests can make a big difference in your quality of care and quality of life. Patients with infections value the resolution that comes from accurate testing, diagnosis, and good treatment that MicroGenDX's Next-Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS) enables.
When a patient is infected, they will usually be prescribed an antibiotic or antifungal by their healthcare provider. These antimicrobials are often chosen based on culturing, growing the specimen in a petri dish. There are limitations to this 150-year-old technology that MicroGenDX is helping to solve.
MicroGenDX uses DNA sequencing technology to identify all bacteria and fungi in a sample from an infected patient, no growth required. NGS detects many microbes that cultures often miss. This provides a patient's physician with a more comprehensive result enabling appropriate and optimized therapy.
"Our mission at MicroGenDX is to improve clinical outcomes by offering clinicians and their patients the most informative and impactful microbial diagnostic tests that science can provide," says CEO Rick Martin. MicroGenDX makes a difference for patients like Kelsey, who struggled with a urinary tract infection so painful that it left her bedridden. When Kelsey finally received the correct antibiotic to treat her infection based on MicroGenDX test results, she was able to recover and return to a pain-free life.
"What makes MicroGenDX unique is our curated database of over 50,000 microbes, our improved turnaround time, our patient-friendly price point, and our clinical research data that strongly supports the clinical utility of Next-Generation Sequencing," Martin emphasizes.
Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) is a technology that allows for more specific identification of disease-causing organisms than the traditional cultures and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) genetic tests used by many labs. Although the technology itself is not new, MicroGenDX, which has been in business for 12 years, has made NGS possible for use in an everyday clinical setting. In the past, NGS technology was expensive and time-consuming. Today, NGS is used by a variety of major companies and research institutions, including NASA, through MicroGenDX, and MicroGenDX is helping to open the door for the use of NGS in clinical medicine.
MicroGenDX provides results for diagnoses related to urinary tract infections (UTI), prostate infections, hip and knee infections, wound infections, sinus infections, lung infections and more. The company continues to conduct research to expand the evidence base for the technology, with more than 35 published clinical studies and more than 40 ongoing clinical trials.
MicroGenDX's NGS has a number of benefits over traditional culture and PCR labs:
- Accuracy. The MicroGenDX test matches patient samples against its microbial database of 50,000 species for maximum accuracy in the NGS results.
- Affordability. The MicroGenDX offers low rates for both qPCR and NGS to help clinicians and patients control costs without sacrificing quality.
- Speed. MicroGenDX has the quickest turn around time of any NGS provider on the market at 3-5 business days for most NGS samples.
- Variety. The MicroGenDX lab accepts a broad range of samples and can provide information on hard to culture and uncommon bacterial and fungal species, including Mycobacterium and Molds.
- Antibiotic Resistance: MicroGenDX recognizes the threat that antimicrobial resistant organisms present to current medicine and the over 35,000 deaths a year it causes. The use of NGS allows for targeted antibiotic treatment that helps combat the growing issue of antibiotic resistance. MicroGenDX also detects the presence of 17 antibiotic resistance genes allowing clinicians to avoid ineffective treatments.
Visit microgendx.com for more information about the company's services, and check them out on social media via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.