Elevate a Family-Favorite Side Dish to a Flavorful, Protein-Packed Meal
(Family Features) Taking the stress out of family meals at home can be as simple as turning your attention toward recipes that pack plenty of flavor without complicated prep. In fact, you can even turn an easy, everyday side dish into a full-blown dinner by simply adding your favorite protein.
This Greek Chicken Fried Rice, for example, transforms a traditional side dish into a filling meal for four in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it requires just one wok or skillet, leaving hardly any cleanup on those busy weeknights when homework, after-school activities and social calendars fill your schedule.
Find more weeknight meal solutions at MilkMeansMore.org.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Greek Chicken Fried Rice
Recipe courtesy of Lori Yates of “Foxes Love Lemons” on behalf of Milk Means More
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 13 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large chicken breast, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups prepared white rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled cow’s milk feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until almost cooked through, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add rice; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Push rice to sides of wok, creating well in center of wok. Crack eggs into well and scramble vigorously with wooden spoon; cook 2 minutes, keeping eggs in well, or until eggs are fully cooked.
- Add chickpeas, parsley, cheese, tomatoes, olives, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes, or until warmed through, stirring frequently.